Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Faux unity on Acer Aspire 3680


I am a linux user. My chosen flavor is ubuntu. Not ramble on about how great it is and how it beats Windows in a lot of ways... here is a screenshot of my current desktop that I called Faux Unity... its not unity but with the docbarx applet on the left panel and drawer applet running on the top panel, it certainly looks like unity without all its hassle. What I've done is not exactly ground breaking but I think its slick. Gonna stick with this setup for a while.

For those who are interested




Note:-
  1. Requires nautilus-elementary, the must have nautilus hack if you want your gnome box to look awesome.
  2. The system info you see at the bottom is a lightweight system monitor called conky.
  3. To format the date as you see in the screenshot, read this article.
  4. Requires compiz-fusion to composite your screen.
  5. Screenshot is from an old acer-aspire 3680 series laptop that refuses to run windows variants above XP. I get a modest functionality and eye candy I get from using linux, not possible with XP
  6. Want to know more about the linux world? This blog has been very informative and is updated on a daily basis. I would highly recommend getting RSS feeds from this site into your Liferea feed reader in linux (or any other feed reader of your choice)

0 comments:

Post a Comment