Saturday, May 14, 2011

Narwhal on my laptop

Finally it's here. On my laptop. I have waited a long time for this... it has rendered me speechless for the moment. Gone is the Karmic Koala(9.10), in comes Natty Narwhal(11.04) as a clean installation.

For now I'm sticking with the old classic desktop, but want to try out the much hyped/criticised Unity interface, the real deal after an year of playing around with a fake Unity setup I had on my Acer laptop, made possible by docbarX. Then there is Unity-2D as well, and finally classic desktop, which i have not gotten tired of just yet.





So what's next? Clean installation meant I lost all of my software, tweaks and themes. But it also means I have speedy system that beckons my calls without hesitation. From the vantage of classic desktop, few things seem to have changed. I have Firefox 4, instead of 3, OpenOffice replaced by LibreOffice (for the life of me, I can't see any difference), Rhythmbox replaced by Banshee and probably many other changes that have not surfaced just yet. One thing that I notice with a heavy heart is that the default games from Maverick have been carried over to Natty and I am a variety-is-the-spice-of-life type of person.

At the moment of writing, the only extra programs I have are GIMP and Inkscape. A long list of them will come through soon, I'm sure. But for now I want to bask in the ambiance of a very fast, stable and awesome Ubuntu system.

Clean installation screenshot

Banshee

Firefox 4

LibreOffice 3
GIMP

Inkscape

Humbly brought to you by Storm of Mort

0 comments:

Post a Comment